How to create a new data frame using seq()?

Hello, we have a data frame that looks like this:

I would like to create a new data frame that has one row for each day, and the “water_use_per_day” column is repeated X times, where X= “NumDays”, as shown below:

Thinking the seq() function might be helpful here, but my first attempts aren’t working out. Thanks for reading!

Stephanie.

You are on the right track! Here is an example of how to use seq for generating sequences of dates in the R Script Data Frame.

data.frame(x= seq(as.Date("2020/1/1"), as.Date("2020/1/15"), by = "day"))

1 Like

Hi Kei!

Your suggestion and a bit more searching helped me to get this far:

But that is only for the first row. How can I make this work for the additional 232 rows?
Is there a way to do a custom command here?

I think I misunderstood the question. Now I got the point. It is a bit complicated, but here is how.

You can create a new calculation with the following expression.

purrr::map2(date_time, num_days, 
  function(x, y){ seq(x, by="days", length.out = y)})

It will create a list column like this. Each list contains a number of dates specified by “num_days” starting from “date_time”.

You can choose “Separate List Items into Rows” from the column header menu to expand those lists into rows.

Then you will see the output like the following.

Hope this answers your question.
–Kei

1 Like

Kei, this is exactly what I needed and it works wonderfully!! Thank you soo much. I have a huge dataset to analyze and you and Exploratory have again saved me hours and hours of work.